Programming and stuff

I took my first holiday in 4 years, and you’ll never guess what happened next…

still didn’t have a tan.

Okay, so, although that may not be too far from the truth, it’s not what this blog entry is about. It’s also not about clickbait titles, surprisingly.

To give you some background, my most recent “proper” holiday was a week in Olu Deniz, Turkey in 2013. Since then I’ve of course used my annual leave from work each year but it’s always either been for menial tasks such as moving house/car maintenance or just “taking a week to chill”. I always thought that taking any form of time off work is good enough to feel refreshed, and to be completely honest I did come back from those breaks feeling a little bit fresher, but this holiday was completely different.

So my last day at work was a Wednesday and I flew out to Malaga Airport from Birmingham International Airport at 6am on the Thursday – yes, this meant getting up at 2am, making my way to the airport and having the obligatory Wetherspoons breakfast (and 4 cups of coffee – or was it 5?). The flight out went as well as I could have hoped –  minus the pilot forgetting where his brakes were until the last second – and the transfer/check-in was perfectly pleasant just as you’d expect from Thomson (now TUI).

We stayed in Hotel Polynesia in Costa del Sol, which is a lovely (and huge!) hotel and the staff were fantastic. The food was as-expected in All Inclusive, perfectly palatable and some of the dishes I actually really enjoyed (guys, you still need to send me that recipe for the amazing pepper sauce a few of the dishes were submerged in). I mean, I can’t complain about the food too much, I came back around a stone heavier so it can’t have been that bad! The facilities were great, the pool was great, the drinks were great. It was all.. well.. great!

The weather was a bit hit and miss, as you’d expect for mid-to-late October, but we got a few days of absolutely baking (yet still tolerable) sunshine, a few overcast days and a couple of dreary, rainy days. The weather didn’t matter though, I was completely disconnected from the outside world, my emails were disabled, my Twitter went untouched, and I was having the time of my life.

I flew back to the UK on the following Thursday – thankfully this flight was at 10:50am so no stupidly early mornings – and the flight went just as well as the outbound flight and we landed safe and sound. After 20-or-so-minutes we got through Border Control, collected our bags and jumped on a bus back to my parents house where I’d left my car for security reasons. I felt good, I was refreshed, I was ready to take on the challenges that life has been throwing me.

The real surprise, though, came on the Saturday daytime. I couldn’t stop thinking about work, about all the exciting stuff I was going to work on when I got back to the office, about all the things I had to catch up with, so I did something crazy… I went into work on a Saturday evening. I caught up with everything I needed to catch up on, I wrote code, I did everything I used to love doing which had gotten a little, well, boring.

This week has been exactly the same. Between house-hunting and all the personal stuff I have to deal with currently, I’ve been destroying every challenge within my sights and I’ve loved every second of it. Even stupid things like replying to clients I’ve actually enjoyed. I’m me again, and I’m ready to take on anything this world can throw at me.

But, in the meantime, time to book for next year. Cyprus, maybe?

Leave a Reply